Friday, 18 May 2012

Outlook & GMail

One of the tasks I've been looking into is how to use Outlook as a client for GMail. There's plenty of guidance available on the Web but, so far, there seems to be proxy/firewall settings that are thwarting the process. Next week we will try to do this by accessing a different wireless network. I will try this at home as well.

Related to this task is also the broader workflow that involves calendar syncing & the exchange of contacts between both platforms. Again, there seems to be solutions available:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/transfer-contacts-between-outlook-and-google-gmail-HA010222048.aspx

If this can be achieved & then replicated for otheres without too much disruption it will provide a solid base for a migration path into the broader suite of Google Apps.

6 comments:

1. All configured very simply at home -- & I think I may have made an error trying to set up at CSLLD. The login ID must be the full email address! hmm

ReplyDelete
  2. ohh! I hope its as simple as that, and not a proxy setting like we thought.. can't wait to know!

ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite as simple at CSLLD -- the DET firewall blocks Ports 993 & 995, which GMail uses for its IMAP server. GMail also uses Port 465 for its SMTP settings. DET IT Operations are "deliberating" on our request

ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.

Email Marketing India Email Marketing Services India

ReplyDelete
  5. The arrangement of scheduling in this way enables you to view your schedule at a glance whereby you can take the best scheduling decisions as you have all the relevant information. Outlook

ReplyDelete
  6. If you are the customer of Gmail, probably you've faced any of the problems mentioned above. face book

ReplyDelete