Wednesday, 16 May 2012

What we document

yikes!
I guess you've already worked out, I'm a fan of documentation. Not the dry dusty sort, but just quick notes on the progress of projects, so we and our watchmen know what we're doing and where we generally up to.

So I took on the job of tidying up the labels, so we can link our projects to the list of blog posts that carry the corresponding labels. That's when I saw that we've just about only been documenting our development of websites. This is largely because Emma is so good at documenting her work, and Jon and I are not!

We've almost completed our investigation into Windows Live, Google Apps and Ubuntu, and not a single note appears here on our website. I know that's because we're collaborating on a Google Doc, but it occurs to me now that that Google doc has a bunch of primary notes in it, especially the way Emma has approached the task, that could and probably should appear here on this site, with the time and date stamp corresponding when the notes were done. That way we can link the finished report back to the primary notes that document our efforts.

There are a couple of other projects we haven't kept tabs on. The newly established Open Data project that Jon and I are on (I'll add some notes around that Jon), the Conference Videos and the numerous hurdles we've had to over come in that (all in good time Emma), and the Online Development Plan (my bad).

Anyway, we're all still bedding in a realistic way of working here.. so, these are just some thoughts.

3 comments:

1. No question that documenting as we go is a really good idea -- & good practice in terms of project management. I guess getting the right labels & tags as we go will be just as important because of this new flat enviroment for document management, which in practice is still a mish-mash for me (so I guess it will be for others too). Given the number of projects on the go there can be a time management issue here too (because documenting is just one activity among many -- investigating, trialling, consulting, de-briefing, etc).

Bottom Line - documenting is good but let's keep it as focused as we can

ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Jon, and we're relying on your wisdom to call us on it. Already I'm seeing overlaps, between what we're keeping on Google Docs, and what we might keep more of here in the website.. and we haven't even really begun our work in Wikipedia, Wikiversity, Wikibooks, Youtube, Archive, Facebook, Google+ and... maybe one or two others. Focus is the word, for sure. This site, and Docs for now.

ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. These days our number-one priority is not to waste the time and money. VDR - https://www.idealsvdr.com is a win-win service for any company. The advantages are countless. Humanity is becoming increasingly remote from the problems with the human factor. There is no time for a simple mistake that can ruin a whole company. The data is always protected and securely stored in a "cloud" which is not accessible for everyone.

ReplyDelete