Thursday, 2 August 2012

Wikipedia editing blocked for DET

It seems the Northern Territory Government's Department of Education and Training is now afflicted by the same problems that other states and territories have, or are dealing with - a Wikipedia editing block on all their IP addresses.

This is the first time I've noticed the block, as I've been able to edit Wikipedia from a computer within the DET IP address range before. I did however notice a history of warnings from Wikipedia administrators that a block was imminent if DET was unable to address the vandalism coming from computers in their IP range.

Normally an IP address range block doesn't affect people with Wikipedia accounts however, so I'm surprised to be blocked like this even when I am signed in.

I've requested that the administrator unblock my username, and to advise what can be done to make the block more precise, or to enable existing user accounts back into editing.

Hi Tonywalton,
You recently blocked IP 155.205.208.222 and no doubt others in a range. This IP address comes from the Northern Territory of Australia, Department of Education and Training. No doubt the vandalism comes from schools. 
Can you grant my username: Leighblackall an exemption to this block? I'd like to request exemptions for other users being my immediate colleagues, but some of them don't yet have Wikipedia accounts. 
Is there anything I can do in assisting this block to become more precise? Perhaps I can request NT DET to change some settings? Your advice would be appreciated.
Regards,Leigh Blackallleigh.blackall@cslld.edu.au

9 comments:

1. Hi Tonywalton,

You recently blocked IP 155.205.208.222 and no doubt others in a range.

Hi. The IP block was issued on 23 May and does not apply to a range. It's by no means the first long-term block applied to that IP address; see http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log/block&page=User%3A155.205.208.222 for previous blocks, which as you can see go back for nearly two years. The most recent (2 year) block immediately follows a 1-year block.

This IP address comes from the Northern Territory of Australia, Department of Education and Training. No doubt the vandalism comes from schools.

That's more than likely true. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/155.205.208.222 for the contributions (so to speak) made from this IP.

I've changed the block to allow logged-in users to edit from that IP address and to allow account creation from that IP.
    Hope that does the trick.

As I mentioned, this is not a rangeblock. It may affect more than one site over time as your comms servers issue the IP to different establishments (if it's a dynamic IP address, in other words). The changes I've made should allow creation of accounts and for registered users to edit from that IP address; the only other action might be to impress the error of their ways upon the schoolchildren of the Northern Territory (not an easy ask, I'd agree).

Cheers
    Tony Walton

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.

Java Training in Chennai Core Java Training in Chennai Core Java Training in Chennai

Java Online Training Java Online Training JavaEE Training in Chennai Java EE Training in Chennai

Delete
    2. I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.

Javascript Training Courses | Angularjs Training in Chennai

Delete
  2. Mohon ijin berpromosi. service Ac segala jenis merk. kami service Ac mencakup wilayah coverage seluruh Surabaya, Gresik, Sidoarjo. kami juga menerima jasa service perbaikan AC bongkar dan pasang AC. pekerjaan kami cepat, tepat, profesional, harga kompetitif di banding harga jasa luaran.
    service ac split sidoarjo
    tukang service ac sidoarjo
    service ac surabaya sidoarjo
    service ac surabaya selatan
    service ac surabaya timur
    service ac surabaya barat
    service ac surabaya utara
    service ac kota surabaya

SPLIT-TYPE AIR CONDITIONERS
    MULTI-SPLIT AIR CONDITIONERS
    CHILLED WATER FAN COIL UNITS
    VRF AIR CONDITIONERS
    CHILLERS
    WINDOW-TYPE AIR CONDITIONERS

JASA LAS
    JASA LAS BEKASI

http://jualjasaacsurabaya.blogspot.com
    Segera hubungi kami, dan kami akan datang kerumah Anda 24 Jam Non Stop.
    (Hari Sabtu / Minggu / Hari Libur buka)
    PIN BBM : 54BE0B4B / 5474CD93 / TELP : 085645475574

ReplyDelete
  3. Java Online Training Java Online Training Java Online Training Java Online Training Java Online Training Java Online Training

Hibernate Online Training Hibernate Online Training Spring Online Training Spring Online Training Spring Batch Training Online Spring Batch Training Online

ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.

ReplyDelete
  5. Your Designs are very attractive and impressive. I like your design.
    Arathi Plates for Wedding Wedding Accessories Online

ReplyDelete